（Academic Proposal and Presentation）教学大纲 (2021 春季)
根据多数国外著名大学和研究机构研究生培养计划，Academic Proposal and Presentation课程是硕士、博士研究生非常重要的必修课，一般是2个学分，该课程要求能结合硕士或博士论文的研究内容，一是重点聚焦在研究生如何学习、如何思维的知识与方法论方面的引导和启发；二是结合研究生科研工作的实际需要，聚焦环境科学与工程领域的热点问题，共性技术问题，注重培养研究生解决复杂环境问题或完成多因素环境治理复杂任务的创造性能力。因此，该课程的总目标是在系统培养研究生撰写论文开题、模拟训练学术演讲基础上，全面提高研究生在较高认知水平上的科学心智活动及较高层次的科研实践能力。
§ 考试方式：开卷考试（100 分制）；
§ 上课考勤规定：如学生无故上课迟到（如迟到时间 < 5分钟，需在微信群里做出说明，并请老师开门，如超过这个时间，学生将无法进入教室，将按缺席处理），如果一学期学生上课无故缺席一次、无故迟到情况累计超过两次，并没有事先得到任课老师的谅解或请假批准，该学生的课程将没有成绩。
§ 本学期所有作业文件均需以固定方式命名，例如第一次作业可命名为：”A2吴迎城Proposal1”或者“B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE Proposal1”，第一次PPT提交可命名为：”A2吴迎城PPT1”或者“B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE PPT1”, 第二次作业提交可命名为：”A2吴迎城Proposal2”或者“B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE Proposal2”，第二次PPT提交可命名为：”A2吴迎城PPT2”或者“B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE PPT2”，特别注意的是，B组线上学生提交PPT时，应该加入自己的演讲录音，PPT演讲录音的方法详见文件说明。
主讲教师：孙建中教授， QQ：2745983694, Tel：0511-88796122；
刘俊教授: QQ： 47018794；
COURSE CONTENTS April. 08, 2021
Course Syllabus (2021 Spring semester)
I. General Goal
To enhance students’ competence in writing a research proposal and the capability in coping with an effective scientific communication.
II. Essential Objectives
1. Understand what differences between a scientific paper and a scientific oral presentation
2. Understand basic strategies, principles, and skills involved in writing a competitive proposal and making an effective presentation with a high quality of PPT slides
3. Understand the important tips of a qualified research proposal and an attractive presentation as well as its skills
4. Finally, to enlighten students’ logical and hypothetic thinking for their innovation capability in degree study.
III. Teaching Philosophy on the Course
The missing of two essential abilities/diathesis among most graduate students, i.e. scientific writing and talking, call for an interdisciplinary, comprehensive course aiming at improving students’ quality in their scientific research. Herein, we opened a course, named as “Academic Writing and Presentation”, for graduate students with our special design and teaching philosophy stated as follows:
1. On course content design, the basic knowledge and principles of scientific research methodology are especially provided and highlighted. The emphasized training efforts in this course are mainly put on the comprehensive analytic methods, logical justification for a proposed research topic, as well as its normalized scientific writing and an effective PPT presentation, which are uniquely strengthened in terms of a thesis research quality.
2. On course processing design, theory lecturing will be closely combined with students’ scientific research needs, which is proposed to train students’ scientific innovation capability during problem shooting of a complicate task, aiming to enhance students’ power competent both in developing an academic research proposal and delivering an effective scientific talking in an international conference.
3. On teaching approaches and the ability evaluation, with the supporting of some advanced web or multimedia technologies, as well as the intelligent classroom equipped with some advanced display/communication system, some unique teaching approaches are accordingly developed and implemented, including inspiration/guidance teaching combined with case study, interaction between instructor & students combined with question-oriented discussion, student practice project training combined with some key comments from professors, etc. Various teaching approaches and evaluations applied in this course are virtually designed to assist students at a better understanding on course contents for what’s inside in a scientific research, as well as its logic steps required for a justification, and finally to build a powerful and competitive capability, in all possible ways, to solve a true scientific problem from an innovative solution.
IV. Content Coverage (2 credit points with 24 teaching hours)
1. What problems we are currently encountered for PPT presentation?
2. What differences between a scientific paper and a scientific oral talking?
3. Reasons for giving an effective seminar presentation
4. Suggestions for how to build a seminar (Tips for main skills involved)
5. Suggestions for visual aids (Tips for main techniques involved)
6. General hinds for presenting (Tips for main strategies and skills in a presentation)
7. How to answer the question after a seminar (The strategies and the answering tips)
8. How to best use the transition words during the presentation (Tips and examples)
9. How to best deal with an international conference talking? (Common useful tips)
10. A sample scientific PPT presentation
V. Evaluation and Examination (How to score your grade)
· Open-book exam (100-point score system)
· Assignment-1 (serves as mid-term exam.), 40% of total, where it includes 30 points assigned for research proposal and 70 points applied for oral presentation
· Assignment-2 (serves as class final exam.), 60% of total, where it includes 30 points assigned for research proposal and 70 point applied for oral presentation
The topic you selected for a field of the proposal should be pretty much related to environmental science and engineering. Each of your selected topics needs to be reviewed and approved by the teacher before it can be formally written. Each student needs to independently complete his/her own proposal in accordance with the template format provided in our course. The first proposal must be submitted by the third week of the course. The second opening report should be submitted no later than the fifth week of the course.
Two PPT presentation assignments: each presentation topic should be kept in the same topic for the corresponding proposals you have submitted to; each onsite student is also required to make two corresponding English PPT presentations in an arranged class time slot in our regular class time. The online students who are stayed in their home countries are not required to present their PPT online in the class due to the concerns for their WIFI speed, instead, they are required to submit their PPT homework with their presentation voice recorded in the file that has to be sent to the pointed Email address at firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date we asked.
If you missed one time of the class without getting permission ahead of time from your teacher for an excuse, you will have no score and credit for this course. If you are late to attend this class no more than 5 minutes, you can request an entry to the classroom after sending a message to our teaching assistant via Wechat platform, otherwise, you will not be allowed to come to classroom when you report to class late beyond 5 min. If you are late report to the classroom without excuse from your teacher for more than two times (each beyond 5 min), you may lose the opportunity to enter in the classroom, which will result in a serious consequence for losing your course credit completely. Onsite students who are in the campus are required to go to the classroom early, ahead of class time at least 10 min earlier, which will ensure that you can catch an elevator in time to approach the 8th floor of the San-Shan Building (三山楼) for your class room. Those online students are also required to get ready ahead of the class time (each Friday 4:00 PM, Beijing time) at least 10 min earlier and get on the board of the class meeting software app, “Voov”. We will send you the log in ID before 4:00 pm of the class time via Wechat communication platform that will allow you to log in this meeting APP platform.
The most important notice for each student:
1. Each onsite student who are stayed in campus is required to sign your name on the attendance sheet each time before the class in classroom to inform/justify us you attend the class without late. For those online students who are stayed in their home countries, it is also required to attend each class online via the Meeting platform, “Voov” and the teacher will check if each student present the class via our meeting platform. It is required to get an approval from Dr. Jianzhong Sun, the leader of this course, for your absence of the class for any coming case or reasons.
2. Regarding student homework submission, each homework document should be named in a fixed format. For example, the first proposal homework should be named as “A2吴迎城Proposal1” OR “B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE Proposal1” (Assigned code + your name + proposal 1); the first PPT homework should be named: “A2吴迎城PPT1” OR “B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE PPT1 (Assigned code + your name + PPT 1)”; the second proposal homework should be named: “A2吴迎城Proposal2” OR “B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE Proposal2 (Assigned code + your name + proposal 2)”; the second PPT homework should be named: “A2吴迎城PPT2” OR “B11 CHUKWUEMEKA JOSEPH EZE PPT2 (Assigned code + your name + PPT2)”. Each student’s homework is required to submit to the pointed Email address at email@example.com before the due date we have asked. Each homework assignment can only be submitted to teacher at one time and don’t submit your homework repeatedly for the reason of a revision. You need to finalize your document before submission. Particularly, we will not accept the over due homework from students and in that case, you will lose the whole score points. There are four homework assignments in total for each student who registered in this course, which include two research proposals and two PPT presentations. For each student assignment due date and time, please check the timetable of the course teaching section in this syllabus.
3. A special attention should be paid for those online participating students who are assigned into the “B” code group, each PPT assignment asked from this class is particularly required to add your own speech voice as a standard conference presentation and recoded your speech into your PPT file. We will soon send you an instruction reference for how to make a presentation voice into your PPT file. In addition, your speech time recorded in this PPT file should be controlled within the limited time we asked (10 min).
4. The classroom location is at 802, 8th floor of the San-Shan Building (三山楼), Jiangsu University. The class time has been set up at 4:00-6:00 pm, Beijing time, each Friday (started from April 16, 2021) for lasting 12 weeks. The scheduled teaching date and time will not allowed to change unless an official holiday approved by China government or other important issues approved by university, which may possibly conflict with our class date or time. Based on our university policy and regulations, students who participating this course will not allowed applying a change for the scheduled course date and time only based on their own personal reasons, or other unaccepted events (such as the religion pray time or other local holiday).
5. The homework assignments required from this class (particularly for two research proposals submission from each students) should be independently accomplished by each student in English version (following the teacher’s instruction) and submitted them to teachers before the due date/time. Plagiarizing some contents from those published materials or even from your own published papers in a significant extent (>30% overlapped with those published materials) are not allowed, which will lead to a serious punishment at the zero score.
6. Each students is also required to visit our course website (For your computer terminal, please visit at http://bijsu-app.com/, for your cellphone terminal, please visit at http://bijsu-app.com/m) . Each student has to register the course website following the web instruction. After the authorization, each student will have a right to access to all resources available in this course website.
Course teaching lecturers and assistant：
1. Dr./Prof. Jianzhong Sun, Personal contact QQ account: 2745983694, Tel: 0511-88796122
2. Dr./Prof. Liu Jun: Personal contact QQ account: 47018794
3. Dr./Prof. Sameh Samir Ali Atwa, Personal contact QQ account: 2192795749
4. Teaching Assistant: Dr. Wang Yongli, Personal contact QQ account: 385568209
Course Syllabus-spring semester-2021-4-16